Discover AAA’s holiday travel forecast and Google’s tips for avoiding traffic and securing cheap flights. Essential for stress-free holiday journeys.
Table of Contents
Heavy Traffic Expected on Roads and in the Skies
The American Automobile Association (AAA) forecasts an exceptionally busy holiday travel season this year.
Travelers must plan ahead with more people expected to hit the roads and take to the skies.
Whether you are visiting family or indulging in holiday shopping, Channel 9’s Mark Taylor and Google Trend Expert Marley McAliley provide valuable tips to navigate this bustling period.
Google Trends: Your Guide to Beating the Holiday Rush
Google has analyzed cell phone location data from previous years to offer insights on the best and worst times to travel. According to their findings:
- Travel Green Light: Monday and Tuesday mornings are the best times to set out. These days show significantly less traffic, making them ideal for a smooth journey.
- Traffic Red Flags: Waiting until later in the week, especially past Tuesday, increases the likelihood of getting caught in traffic.
Peak Times to Avoid
McAliley emphasizes the importance of timing to avoid the holiday rush:
- Tuesday and Wednesday Afternoons: Peak travel times are around 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. It is advisable to avoid the roads during these hours.
- Thanksgiving Day Rush: If traveling on Thanksgiving, the busiest period is between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Planning your journey outside these hours can help dodge the crowds and long lines.
Tips for Snagging Cheap Flights
For those looking for affordable last-minute Thanksgiving or Christmas flights, Google Flights offers a helpful tool:
- Google Price Insights: This feature allows travelers to compare current flight prices with historical averages, helping them identify whether a deal is truly cost-effective.
- Booking Recommendations: McAliley advises using Google Flights’ insights to determine the cheapest time to book your flight.
Google’s Price Guarantee
To boost traveler confidence, Google is offering a price guarantee for flights.
If you book a flight and the price drops before your trip, Google promises to refund the difference.
With record numbers of travelers expected this holiday season, being aware of peak travel times and utilizing tools like Google Trends and Google Flights can significantly enhance your travel experience.
Planning and making informed decisions can make you enjoy a smoother, more cost-effective holiday journey.